Tuesday 25 November 2014

Journey to minimalist running: the decision.

If you follow me on Twitter, you may know that I plan to transition from running in classic trainers to minimalist shoes. I intend to share updates on that here, so I'll start with my jogging background and the decision to go for minimalist running.
About a year ago, I wanted to start jogging in order to improve my very poor stamina. The shoes I have are a pair of Reebok's that I've had since I was 12 or 13, so I intended to get a new pair to jog in. I wanted to go to one of those shops where they film your gait and do measurements on your feet and advise you on shoes based on that. As my feet are very flat, I thought I might even need orthopaedics. But I wasn't patient enough to wait until I had new shoes, so one day I just grabbed these old ones and joined my sister to the athletics track. Also, I wasn't sure either if I'd be able to persist with running and didn't want to spend much money on trainers if I wasn't sure if I'd get to use them.

As time passed, I read more about barefoot and minimalist running, and I wasn't sure I wanted to get heavily cushioned shoes any more. So for months and months I didn't bother getting new shoes since I wasn't sure what I wanted yet. I didn't know where to get advice either since opinions are divided. Some claim that you need cushioned shoes in order to protect your feet (and the knees, and probably other body parts too) from the impact of running. Other say that classic shoes promote heel striking because the heel is higher then the toes, whereas minimalist shoes (or going barefoot of course) promotes midfoot or forefoot striking, and that this type of striking will cause less injuries. I've even read that you may pound your feet on the ground harder in heavily cushioned shoes because they don't get enough sensory feedback. On top of that, this info comes from the internet, so one cannot be sure what is true and what is not. As a result I'm still jogging in my old shoes, but obviously I wouldn't be writing this piece if I hadn't finally made up my mind and chosen to go minimalist.

I made this choice because I believe that nature knows best. Even if trainers are made to run in, that does not mean that we are made to run in trainers. Then why not go barefoot rather than minimalist? Well, this is Belgium and it would be too cold for most of the time (although your feet may adjust to that too). We're not made to run in minimalist shoes either, but I'm hoping at least it's a step closer to natural running. Who knows I might give barefoot running a go some day.

Sincerely,
R.

PS: In the next post I'll cover my preparation and shoe choice.