Friday 27 June 2014

Easy Peasy Recipe: coco(a)-nut granola.

Last week I stumbled upon an amazing recipe of grain free granola. A few days later I managed to make a batch and absolutely loved it. It tasted great and kept me full throughout a busy morning.
As I was working with the ingredients I had, mine is slightly different than the original recipe, but it is definitely my new favourite breakfast!

You will need
3 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
2 cups roughly chopped almonds, cashews, pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts, brazil-nuts
2 cups rolled oats (omit these if you want it grain free)
2 tablespoons chia seeds
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
5-7 tablespoons melted coconut oil or butter
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
50g very dark chocolate

How to make
Preheat the oven to 125°C and line a baking tray with baking paper. At this point I put my coconut oil in the oven for a few minutes to make it melt.
Chop both the nuts and the chocolate roughly but keep them separated. Combine the coconut flakes, nuts, oats, chia seeds and cinnamon in a big bowl. Then fetch the coconut oil or butter from the oven and pour it over the mix along with the honey. Mix well and spread evenly on the baking tray. Bake for 20 minutes, and turn or stir halfway through the cooking time. Remove from the oven and allow it to cool down.
Then add the cocoa powder and chocolate in as well. You can mix this is the bowl you used earlier. Lastly transfer the granola into the container in which you plan to keep it.
I eat mine with almond milk and it is delicious!

Original recipe from nourishedkitchen.com.

Enjoy!
Sincerely,
R.