Thursday 2 January 2014

DIY body butter.

In our family, we have the tradition of exchanging small gifts between godchildren and godparents on New Year's day. This year I crafted the gift for my godmother myself. I gave her a set of two homemade body care products. The first one is the same foot scrub I gave my mum for Christmas. The other one is a DIY body butter.


The body butter

I started by measuring how much coconut oil I thought I needed to fill up the jars. So I put that in a bowl tried to mix in almond oil with my hands. That didn't work out as I had planned, so I had to melt the coconut oil bain-marie. Since it was liquid now, I had no idea how much almond oil to add to get a nice and creamy consistency at room temperature, so I just winged it and hoped for the best. I added a few drops of rosemary essential oil and poured it back into the weck jars. 
After it had cooled down I found it to be a bit too solid, so I did another round of melting and adding almond oil. Given the ingredients, this is technically a body oil rather than a butter. 

The jars

I grabbed the faux-parchment which was left over from the Christmas present and googled the sample of calligraphy letters I had used the last time. I traced the size of the lid on another piece of paper and cut it out to use as a template to trace the circle on the parchment. After a practice run of writing I carefully started writing on the parchment and let it dry completely. Then I cut out the labels, glued them onto the weck jars and added the bows. 


The writing hasn't worked out exactly how I wanted it, but I find (or hope) the imperfections make the gift more charming!

Sincerely,
R.