Monday 20 January 2014

DIY deodorant.

After finding out about aluminium in crystal deodorants, I made my own deodorant. Recipes can be found easily on the internet! 
Here's how I made mine:

You will need: maize starch, baking soda, and coconut oil.
Also grab a container to store you deodorant in, a bowl, a spoon and/or fork.

Put the maize starch, baking soda and coconut oil in the bowl. I used two tablespoons on maize starch, two tablespoons of baking soda and two and a half tablespoons of coconut oil.
Mash it!

As I wasn't patient enough, I melted it a bit and then blended it together. Lastly, put it in your container and let it sit for a while - I left mine overnight. You can also add a drop of essential oil for fragrance, but I left mine unscented.

All done!

I've been using this for a bit now and it works as well as any store bought deodorant I've used in the past and better than some. The texture is a bit odd at first, but you get used to it really quickly. Also it keeps the underarms dry. 

Note that the baking soda is basic whereas you skin is supposed to be acidic! But at the same time this may be why it works: the higher pH stops (or slows) bacterial growth.


Lastly a fun fact: technically this deodorant is edible! I wouldn't recommend to eat it though...
Sincerely,
R.