Saturday 11 January 2014

Crystal deodorant: safe to use?

A few years back I wanted to try a natural deodorant, since it is something I use every single day. So I got myself one of those crystal deodorants that you wet and then apply. I used it every now and then, but it was only two days ago that I started doubting its safety.

When I first got this deodorant, I thought it looked good: there's only a single ingredient in it: ammonium alum. At the time I thought it was free of alcohol, perfume, parabens and aluminium. However, this ingredient ammonium alum is also called "ammonium aluminium sulfate". And thus contains aluminium, which is controversial in terms of its possible relation to breast cancer.

If you don't mind using deodorants with aluminium in them, then I would certainly recommend this one. It may be especially good if you are allergic to perfume or have sensitive skin, since it does indeed not contain alcohol, perfume, parabens. I would also like to share this advise I read about using deodorants that do contain aluminium: don't use them straight after shaving! The reason for this is that your skin is damaged after you've shaved and when it's damaged it will take up more aluminium from the product. 

I think I'll let this one sit in my shelf for now and try to make a coconut oil-maize starch-baking soda deodorant and give that a go. But I also want to do some more research on the topic, since deodorant is not the only product that contains aluminium! It can be in make up products and food too. This left me with the questions like: how much difference does the use of aluminium in body care and make up make to our health? Are all molecules that include aluminium (equally) harmful?


Sincerely,
R.


Note: If you search for info on this topic of deodorant safety, it will be pointed out that there is a difference between deodorants and antiperspirants, but here I haven't made a distinction between the two.