Wednesday 8 January 2014

Thunder in January.

I know it's a bit unimaginative to talk about the weather. But last Friday I knew I needed to. My sister and I went for a run at about 5 PM, that evening an it was really warm (well really warm for January anyway). Right after we were done it started raining, and a minute later it started pouring. But the most striking thing of all was that there was a thunderstorm.

Now thunderstorms in winter are possible, but as far as I've experienced they are rare. It being so warm (no less than 12°C!) in January and having the thunderstorm made me reflect upon global warming. The normal temperature for January is 5°C here and this 12°C is warmer than some days in summer!
Temperatures of last Friday (3 January 2014)
Today (6 January) they were talking on the news about the cold in Canada an the USA and the warmth here (14°C at 5PM today). They explained how they were caused by a weakening of the polar vortex and how this phenomenon has become more prevalent due to climate change according to some climatologists. I think It is about time we made a big change, and we need to do it right now! 

So cycle and recycle, wear a warm jumper and turn down your heater a bit, switch off the light when you leave a room etc.


Sincerely,
R.


PS: Check out this video: it's a song that calls for everyone to make a change for the better of our planet. It was shown at the Climate Top at Doha in December 2012 at the beginning of the last Plenary Meeting. More info on sing for the climate here.