Monday 24 February 2014

DIY bedtime balm.

For this DIY I was inspired by Rituals Qi. After reading the ingredient list I figured I could make a similar thing.



The ingredients of Qi are: 
AQUA/WATER, ALCOHOL, GLYCERIN, CYCLOPENTASILOXANE, ISOHEXADECANE, STEAROXY DIMETHICONE, MENTHA PIPERITA (PEPPERMINT) OIL, CYCLOHEXASILOXANE, BIS -PEG/PPG-16/16 PEG/ PPG- 16/16 DIMETHICONE, MENTHYL LACTATE, PANTHENOL, PHENOXYETHANOL, AMMONIUM ACRYLOYLDIMETHYLTAURATE/ VP COPOLYMER, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, CAPRYLYL GLYCOL, LAVANDULA ANGUSTIFOLIA (LAVENDER) OIL, CAPRYLIC/ CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE, MENTHOL, ACRYLATES/C10-30 ALKYL ACRYLATE CROSSPOLYMER, CARBOMER, ALLANTOIN, BISABOLOL, LINALOOL, SODIUM HYDROXIDE, SORBIC ACID, SODIUM PHYTATE, LIMONENE, COIX LACRYMAJOBI (JOB'S TEARS) SEED EXTRACT,  and GERANIOL.

I figured the most important ingredients for scent were peppermint oil and lavender oil. It says Chinese Mint and Yi Yi Ren on the packaging, but there's not much Yi Yi Ren (job's tears extract) in the product.
The things I used are: coconut oil, almond oil, peppermint oil and lavender oil. I got the containers at Casa and I used a small cup and a knife to mix the oils together.

I used coconut oil and almond oil as a base. Then I started adding in the two other oils. I just added drops of oil and smelled it to see how it compared to Qi. I ended up using double the amount of peppermint oil as lavender oil, but I didn't get the scent quite as well-matching as the last time I made this. (I should have written down the proportions somewhere...)
After pouring it in the containers, I waited for it to set before putting the corks in again.
I gave one of these as a gift, so I made a small label with a piece of cardboard. Lastly I wrapped it in the small bag I got with the Make-Up Studio eye shadow. 
Comparison of the two
Clearly these two are different in texture: Qi is a bit serum-ish whereas the bedtime balm is an oil. This doesn't have any alcohol or extra menthol in there, so it doesn't give that fresh/cool sensation to the skin upon application. Therefore I find Qi better for throughout the day and the bedtime balm before bed - hence the name. 
And lastly I also find the bedtime balm nice to massage my neck with when I have a tension headache!

Sincerely,
R.