Saturday 1 March 2014

Books I'm currently reading.

Usually I only read one or maximum two books at a time. But lately I'm reading four at a time.
Here they are:













They are in chronological order in the sense that the more the book is to the left, the earlier I started reading it.
On the far left is Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks. He describes - among other things - cases of patients that have special abilities of disabilities that have to do with music. For example people who have perfect pitch or people who have amusia. It's a very interesting book but it's not an easy read. It's the only book out of the four that I'm reading in English.

The second is A Song of Ice and Fire book four A Feast For Crows by George R. R. Martin. Do I even need to explain? I started reading it in October I believe. Now I'm having a period in which I'm reading less. I read book three (part one and two) quite fast, and now I'm just less interested. I like the book slightly less than its predecessors, but it's not all due to the book. I had the same reading-pattern last year: I did loads of reading in summer and autumn, and then I barely read until summer came along again. I'm about three quarters through. I think I'll have a lighter read after I finish this one.



The third book is Dali The Paintings by Robert Descharnes and Gilles Néret. I got this for Christmas and probably started reading it quite soon after that. I've only read in it twice though and am only at page 20. It does have more text than I thought it'd have, but I do like that. So far it's telling the story of Dali's life. Obviously there are lots of pictures in there too!

Lastly I'm reading Bad Pharma by Ben Goldacre. I haven't read much of it yet either. So far it was about unpublished results: pharmaceutical companies (but also scientists in other fields) can do as many studies as they like and publish just the ones that they want people to know anbout, hence making people believe that their drug is a good one. He also wrote Bad Sciene (before this one). If I like this book, I'll probably read Bad Science too.



I should finish a few of these before starting another book! 

sincerely,
R.