Monday 31 March 2014

The moka pot.

I think it's safe to say that I'm a coffee addict lover. Just like my parents do, I drink it every single day. There's always a thermos bottle filled with filter coffee on the kitchen counter, but when it comes to taste there's one method of brewing that beats all others. My all time favourite coffee is a 'latte' made with coffee brewed with my moka pot. I even prefer its taste to all the lattes I have ever had in various coffee shops!


I got this pot in particular about 4 years ago. Even though it looks old and scruffy, I will not get rid of it until I've found a worthy replacement for it. I do have another bigger pot, but this one brews the best coffee!
Here's how it works: you put water in the bottom compartment and then put the funnel in. Ground coffee goes in there and then you screw the top on. When you put this on the stove, some of the water will evaporate and this builds pressure which will push the water upwards through the ground coffee in the funnel and all the way to the top.
During that wondrous journey, the water picks up the aroma of the ground coffee and that how the coffee is brewed.
The way I drink it is as a 'latte': I take my favourite cup, fill it halfway up with (whole) milk and then pour in the freshly brewed coffee. This is not an actual latte since that is made with espresso, and whilst the coffee made with a moka pot is quite strong, it is not espresso.
What's your favourite brewing method?
Sincerely,
R.